I'm a Polymath  

RSS

ReenaJacobs
(@reenajacobs)
Active Member Member
04/03/2017 12:02 am  

Greetings all!

It was wonderful reading through all of the introductions. I'm Renee (Pen name Reena). I'll start by saying, I'm a Polymath (AKA multipotentialist, renaissance woman). That is, I don't so much specialize in any one thing. Rather, I get pretty good at a lot of things. I'm/or have been an artist, writer, soldier, web designer, coach, business advisor, psychology major, the list goes on... I even got certified as a nursing assistant at one time, when I thought I wanted to be a nurse. Above all, I'm an entrepreneur, and have been since 1996.

I began my author journey in 2009. After spending years as a stay-at-home mom, I decided I wanted to do something productive. So, I decided I'd write a book. I read something to the tune 80-90% of American want to write books but only about 3-6% finish writing a book. I'm thinking, the odds are in my favor. I'd whip out a book, send it to an agent, and I'd be the next Kresley Cole.

Writes/Authors... I bet you can imagine how that went. Let's just say, I'm not the next Kresley Cole.

However! I learned quite a bit on my journey... lots of research. What I found was traditional publishing isn't all it's cracked up to be. At the time, a decent advance for authors was about $5,000. New authors were encourage to spend most, if not all, of their advance to market their books. Sad thing about it, most authors didn't earn out their advance. Plus, they seldom got the rights back to their book once it was all said and done.

I figured if that was the case, I'd take my chances on myself, and self-publish. I'd save myself the trouble of agents telling me my book wasn't good enough and let the readers decide. I'm glad I did. Between 2010 and 2012, I published novels, novellas, and short stories, and I didn't have to ask permission to do it. If I could turn back time and make new choices, the only change I'd make is I'd self-publish sooner and wouldn't even consider starting with traditional publishing.

Please, everyone take a step back. This is where I shamelessly self-promote myself and I want to make sure I have enough room to do it.

So here I am, Author (by the way, if you publish, you get to carry that title forever)/Coach. As I mentioned, I've been an entrepreneur since 1996. If you're a writer with plans to publish or already published, you're an entrepreneur also. Publishing is a business, and don't ever forget that. If you're not already doing so, it's time to think and act like business owners.

As a coach, I help business owners, that mean you, elevate their companies. In writers, I help authors self-publish like business owners. I've been counseling, advising, and coaching in a variety of industries since 2006. However, I just started doing this for myself (self-employed) last year. If you're interested in self-publishing like a business owner, schedule a free consultation with me. It's over the phone or Skype, so I can't bite you, even if I want.

I'm also running a special business coaching giveaway this month. Check it out: a Rafflecopter giveaway

Self-publish like a business owner. Ask me about free business coach consultations.

Sam Hunter liked
ReplyQuote
Sam Hunter
(@sam)
Reputable Member Admin
04/03/2017 7:32 am  

Hi Reena, thanks for the introduction and so good to have you onboard.

You've sure been busy! 

And really good advice about self publishing vs. traditional publishing.

Please consider listing your services in our paid-for-services forum.

Sam Hunter: Father, husband, author. Always in that order. Writing books you can't put down. All my books are on Amazon Kindle and Google Play Books. You can find me on Twitter or email me

ReplyQuote
ReenaJacobs
(@reenajacobs)
Active Member Member
06/03/2017 5:50 pm  

Thank you! I added my services to the paid-for-service forum.

Self-publish like a business owner. Ask me about free business coach consultations.

Sam Hunter liked
ReplyQuote
Share: