The Real Bachelors of Atlanta - Review  

RSS

Sam Hunter
(@sam)
Reputable Member Admin
27/02/2018 10:45 am  

The Real Bachelors of Atlanta is the first title in the new series, Single in the City, from author D.D. Bridges. At 166 pages it's shorter than your typical novel. But, with the cliff hanger ending, it leads you right into the next book in the series. And The Real Bachelors of Atlanta 2 has already been released. Both are available on Amazon and Kindle Unlimited.

Calvin, Dorian, Emory, and Bishop are four bachelors who are living their dreams in Atlanta, GA. Between their successful careers and the crazy ratio of women to men in Atlanta, it’s expected that there would be at least a few scandals involving various women. Calvin has decided that true love doesn’t exist and believes all women should be taught a lesson. Dorian, the lawyer, manages to lay low and maintain non-committal situationships while focusing on his legal career. Meanwhile, Emory puts his career as a music producer on the line when he foolishly starts to mix business with pleasure. Bishop, a pro football player, seems more prone to scandalous encounters than the others and always finds himself at the center of a media storm. When tragedy strikes, these friends are forced to analyze their womanizing ways and decide if it is worth it to continue living life in the fast lane.

The Real Bachelors of Atlanta starts amidst the action in the story, with a woman arriving at Calvin's place claiming to be having his baby. It then jumps three months back to give you the story that leads up to this and quite a bit more. I like a quick start that gets you into the heart of the action but overall feel the story would have been best read chronologically. There was more than enough to interest me and intrigue me while getting to know the characters without the prologue's flash forward.

I previously reviewed The Head That Wears The Crown, an earlier title from D.D. Bridges. In comparison, her writing in The Real Bachelors of Atlanta felt more polished. D.D. Bridges appeared to feel much more at home in this narrative. This made for relaxed and enjoyable reading.

The four main characters were all distinct from each other and this kept things interesting. However, the one thing they did have in common was their ways and general disrespect towards women. I felt D.D. Bridges did a great job here, really getting into their heads and being able to convey the thoughts and attitudes of her characters in a realistic way. I particularly liked that this wasn't glamorized, as is often the case in urban fiction. In the advent  of the #MeToo movement, I personally felt much more conscious of not wanting to see misogynistic behavior presented in a glamorous way. D.D. Bridges wrote this in a way that enabled me  to enjoy the characters and dislike them at the same time.

All men are dogs. But me, I’m a different type of dog.

Beyond the womanizing, my interest really peaked when Dorian took on a case to defend somebody accused of murder. This felt meaty and I wanted to sink my teeth into it. This was one of several strands in the overall story. I hope there is more of this in the next book and would go so far as to suggest D.D. Bridges write a legal thriller within the urban fiction genre.

I also particularly enjoyed one of the supporting characters, Alisha. She was a single mother, hardworking, strong, and a supportive woman. And, unfortunately for her, was the assistant to Calvin. I was gunning to see her straighten Calvin out and give him a dressing down for the way he was humiliating women. With such prominent male characters behaving badly, there was a space for a woman like Alisha to shine. I fell like D.D. Bridges laid the ground work for that in this book and I wonder where she will take Alisha in the next. I know one thing for sure, Alisha deserves so much better than Calvin. Despite his delusions towards the end that he had changed, I am sure he hasn't.

As I said earlier, this book ends on a cliffhanger. The cover of this book and the next in the series hint at what happens. I'll say no more than that. Generally, I don't like cliff hangers. They can be frustrating. However, here most of the threads in the narrative had been drawn to a close and the way things turned out had always been a possibility. I guess what I'm not a hundred percent sure of is who did it. There is a little window left open on that one and one or two other things I think the second book could get into.

I will be looking to get my hands on a copy of the next book in the series. As soon as I do, I'll be dropping a review for that too.

I rate The Real Bachelors of Atlanta as four stars. It was an enjoyable read with characters I liked to dislike as they each went through their different situations.

More places to find D.D. Bridges

D.D. Bridges Facebook D.D. Bridges Twitter D.D. Bridges Amazon D.D. Bridges Website D.D. Bridges Google+ D.D. Bridges Goodreads D.D. Bridges YouTube

More books from D.D. Bridges

Family First cover The Head That Wears The Crown cover The Head That Wears The Crown 2 cover The Real Bachelors of Atlanta cover The Real Bachelors of Atlanta 2 cover

Sam Hunter: Father, husband, author. Always in that order. Writing books you can't put down. All my books are on Amazon Kindle and Google Play Books. You can find me on Twitter or email me

ReplyQuote
Share: