Self - Made Book trailer (Be Kind)  

RSS

Y Stokes
(@ysdata)
Eminent Member Member
18/02/2017 12:21 am  

So, I've been monkeying around with Blender 3d Software.  I am much better than when I first started out.  So, I thought to myself... You can make a book trailer.  And three days later, well I'll let you be the judge of it.  It's on YouTube, but I marked it "Unlisted", just in case I have to snatch it down.

They walk among the normal undetected. Some are good, others are evil. They're biblical heirs with supernatural powers reshaping life as we know it -- Untold Series by Y Stokes.

ReplyQuote
Sam Hunter
(@sam)
Reputable Member Admin
19/02/2017 10:46 am  

This is one of the better self-made trailers I've seen. The steady pace matches the premise being presented and the shot of a city puts things in a very modern setting despite the historical links.

You might want to buy/borrow a high quality microphone, and record in the right acoustic setting. The current voice-over is a little jarring in places because of the mic quality. Beyond that, there are some great tutorials out there on how to record voice and get the best out of your voice and how not to include other sounds you don't want as you record.

Also noticed that not all your shots are the same aspect ratio. When it cuts to the city scene it letterboxes with the black lines top and bottom. This in itself isn't a problem, you just want it to be consistent throughout so the viewer's attention isn't thrown.

Great job though and what an interesting premise.

Sam Hunter: Father, husband, author. Always in that order. Writing books you can't put down. All my books are on Amazon Kindle and Google Play Books. You can find me on Twitter or email me

Y Stokes liked
ReplyQuote
Y Stokes
(@ysdata)
Eminent Member Member
19/02/2017 2:25 pm  

Thanks.  I recorded my voice, but  thought it was to low.  So, amp it with audacity.  That's what I think you hear.  I can fix that for the final trailer. I also wanted to add some effects like "Suspense" and "Supernatural" jumping off the scene.  I'll keep at it.  Thanks for your help.

They walk among the normal undetected. Some are good, others are evil. They're biblical heirs with supernatural powers reshaping life as we know it -- Untold Series by Y Stokes.

ReplyQuote
Y Stokes
(@ysdata)
Eminent Member Member
23/02/2017 4:47 pm  

So, I re-recorded the audio and added what I thought the book trailer was missing.  Here's the second take.

Sam Hunter liked
ReplyQuote
Sam Hunter
(@sam)
Reputable Member Admin
23/02/2017 11:21 pm  

Definitely louder now. Volume is good. Couple of artifacts (pops and clicks).

What kind of editing software are you using to put it all together?

Sam Hunter: Father, husband, author. Always in that order. Writing books you can't put down. All my books are on Amazon Kindle and Google Play Books. You can find me on Twitter or email me

ReplyQuote
Y Stokes
(@ysdata)
Eminent Member Member
23/02/2017 11:28 pm  

The only artifact in the story is a symbol that all bloodline heirs have.  It was introduced in the second book.  I really didn't describe it.  So, I guess I can design a custom symbol now and add it to the video.  

I've used Blender 3d software for the effects and video editing. 

ReplyQuote
Sam Hunter
(@sam)
Reputable Member Admin
24/02/2017 8:49 am  

By artifacts in the sound, I mean acoustic glitches. Popping or clicking sounds. 

ReplyQuote
Y Stokes
(@ysdata)
Eminent Member Member
02/03/2017 5:05 am  

So, I wanted to post some of my results from the book trailer.  Yesterday, I noticed a tweet from someone saying they posted the trailer to their site.  I thanked them, of course and went on with my day.  Then I checked my stats and WOW, over 2000 YouTube views.  So, I thought to myself, boy, I wish those views were to my blog.  

Not long ago I started a Web Series for that very reason... More traffic to my blog.  So, I've created a trailer for the free-web-series hosted on my blog.  Let me know what you think.  Your feedback matters.  Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Sam Hunter
(@sam)
Reputable Member Admin
02/03/2017 6:42 pm  

Having listened to your narration on the trailer I think you should do the narration on your website rather than the text to speech function you have currently going on. Your accent and inflections bring the story to life so much more.

I still feel your microphone is holding you back. I know it's a lot to stump up the cash for a microphone like the Shure SM7B but it would make all the difference. Ask around and borrow a pro mic to test the difference for yourself. It all depends how invested in the audio you want to be.

Y Stokes liked
ReplyQuote
Y Stokes
(@ysdata)
Eminent Member Member
23/06/2017 12:04 am  

I've gotten a lot of feedback on my book trailer, and have tweaked it to make it better.  Here's the latest ...

ReplyQuote
Share: