Author Interview Sample Questions and Guide  

RSS

Sam Hunter
(@sam)
Reputable Member Admin
14/10/2017 10:45 am  

Author interview sample questions can be found at the bottom of this article. But first, let's consider what why an interview can be useful. It's one of the best ways for readers to get to know you and your work. So, take a proactive approach and prepare your own author interview to submit to book blogging sites.

Crafting your own author interview will help ensure it’s high quality, presents the persona you are cultivating, and also carries a theme or story that will hook readers into you and your work. But it can be difficult to create an author interview yourself, and even harder to create one that really gets readers hooked. Without doing that, readers are likely to move on and not pick up any of your books. 

Author Interview Sample Questions

Key considerations

If you really want to engage people and turn them into readers of your own, follow these steps in crafting the perfect author interview.

• Consider your objective and be clear in your mind about what you want to achieve.
  • Consider your audience.
  • Consider length – if you just want an interview to promote your latest book then keep it short and on point. If you have depth to what you’re saying then it can be longer and still keep people engaged. But no one wants to read one hundred and one questions that are fairly superficial. You need a few but then delve into some of the deep stuff.
  • If you’re including details about you/your personal life then consider the theme. This provides a unifying feature to your interview and people will naturally relate better to you. A couple of examples are
    • Have you been on a ‘journey’?
    • Have you experienced a major event in your life?
    • Have you battled adversity ?
  • If focusing more on your book, consider the context of the book in its genre, current events, and try to construct an overarching theme or message for it too.
  • What will the tone of the interview be? Upbeat, serious, intellectual, casual…
  • Adapt the way you write so it matches the spoken word. If you find this hard then read it outloud and consider whether that’s how you normally sound.
  • Review a bank of generic questions for ideas, like the ones below, but adapt, adapt, adapt! Split the multi part questions out into normal dialogue. Remember, unadapted stock questions will only produce a stock interview – boring!
  • Write your own questions.
  • Structure the questions so they flow and rewrite the questions so they fit, both in terms of the flow but also in the way they would be asked in the current context.
  • Be creative. Be original. Be fresh. Too many interviews sound the same.
  • Avoid being cliché – read ten interviews in your own genre, making notes on what’s good, bad, and repeated too much, before writing your own.
  • Remember, there’s so much more about you than the usual story you tell yourself in your head.
  • Have a third party go over and edit the whole thing.

Other things to include

• Images, of you (at least three different ones) and the cover art for all your books, or the most recent four. They won’t all be used but it provides options.
  • Social media links (Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc)
  • Personal website address
  • Sales links and author profiles (Amazon, Google Play, Goodreads, Smashwords, iBooks, Barnes & Noble, Kobo, etc).

Sample questions

Sam Hunter: Father, husband, author. Always in that order. Writing books you can't put down. All my books are on Amazon Kindle and Google Play Books. You can find me on Twitter or email me

ReplyQuote
Y Stokes
(@ysdata)
Eminent Member Member
15/10/2017 4:56 pm  

I created this video before reading your advice, but I think I hit many of the steps.  

They walk among the normal undetected. Some are good, others are evil. They're biblical heirs with supernatural powers reshaping life as we know it -- Untold Series by Y Stokes.

ReplyQuote
Share: