Defeating Writer's Block  

RSS

Y Stokes
(@ysdata)
Eminent Member Member
07/02/2017 2:56 pm  

Stencil Art

A picture says a thousand words

They walk among the normal undetected. Some are good, others are evil. They're biblical heirs with supernatural powers reshaping life as we know it -- Untold Series by Y Stokes.

Sam Hunter liked
ReplyQuote
Sam Hunter
(@sam)
Reputable Member Admin
07/02/2017 6:57 pm  

I've moved this topic to 'Author Help' as it seemed more appropriate there than in the 'fun' forum. Although drawing on your walls could be fun.

When I have writer's block you're more likely to find me crawling the walls than drawing on them but I can totally see the point here - you have to allow creativity to keep going or to start somewhere until you find it back on the page. My favorite method to do this is to try to get deeper into my characters and to take on some aspect of them. I try to do what they would do, listen to the music they would listen to. Author's of serial killers should be careful with this technique!

Sometimes, I find writer's block is like an enforced procrastination that let's you get some perspective on what you are doing and then do it even better later. So no need to always fight it.

And hey, what a great topic we've not had before. Hopefully everyone can weigh in with their tips and tricks on breaking through, or accepting, writer's block.

Sam Hunter: Father, husband, author. Always in that order. Writing books you can't put down. All my books are on Amazon Kindle and Google Play Books. You can find me on Twitter or email me

Y Stokes liked
ReplyQuote
BlackPearl
(@blackpearl)
Active Member Contributor
10/02/2017 3:26 pm  

This is weird, but when I experience writer's block, I look at it as a divine intervention...and what I mean by that is that it happens because my story is in some way lacking a message or an element that is necessary to bring my story together....so when I experience a block...I do the opposite, I READ... and often times I find that missing piece, idea or concept in whatever I have picked to read for that day.

BlackPearl

Sam Hunter liked
ReplyQuote
TimRanjac
(@timranjac)
Active Member Member
04/04/2017 7:23 pm  

That strikes a chord with me, BlackPearl. When I've writer's block it's something I'm reading that's unrelated to what I'm writing that gets the creative engine humming again.

Other times the block is persistent. Maybe because there's a deep unresolved issue like characterization or plot elements that need to be worked on before I move on.

Sam Hunter liked
ReplyQuote
Share: