Deadlines  

RSS

Sam Hunter
Estimable Member Admin
10/11/2017 9:19 pm  

How do you guys approach deadlines? Do you have deadlines? If you self publish do you set yourself deadlines?

Sam Hunter: Father, husband, author. Always in that order. Writing books you can't put down. All my books are on Amazon Kindle and Google Play Books. You can find me on Twitter or email me

ReplyQuote
Tamir Shaw
Eminent Member Member
11/11/2017 4:53 pm  

I definitely give myself deadlines and also an occasional extension. It may be a personality trait but I seem to thrive off of the adrenaline released an approaching project due date. There is a con factor, however, I tend to make the most mistakes during the rush to finish phase and spend more time and pride going back to make corrections.

I would suggest starting with a realistic goal. Another risky but effective tactic is to tell another trusted person who is willing to hold you accountable and perhaps even has a vested interest what that deadline is if you a really big procrastinator.

Sam Hunter liked
ReplyQuote
Dalanna Anitra
Active Member Member
16/11/2017 6:28 pm  

I give my self deadlines really to push myself. I feel like if I have some sort of pressure on me I'm going to be more focused. When the time comes to approaching the deadline I try not to panick and I start a set schedule leading up until the end of the deadline. For example if my deadline is a week out, then I'm going to commit to atleast 4 consecutive hours of writing each day until the end. 

ReplyQuote
KF Johnson Author
Active Member Member
20/11/2017 9:26 pm  

I am AWFUL with deadlines. It's one reason why I have yet to accept any of the publishing deals I have been offered. I have been writing the sequel to one of my books for over a year now (which is totally way past the industry standard for a sequel) but life circumstances and writer's block have delayed it's completion and release. 

I'm definitely working on improving my turn around time though. I realize it's a terrible attribute for a writer. I've also decided that after I complete the next 2 sequels, I will only write stand alone books from here on out. 

Good luck!

Sam Hunter liked
ReplyQuote
Sam Hunter
Estimable Member Admin
20/11/2017 10:51 pm  
Posted by: KF Johnson Author

I have been writing the sequel to one of my books for over a year now... I've also decided that after I complete the next 2 sequels, I will only write stand alone books from here on out. 

Totally where I'm at. I'm actually looking forward to writing stand alone stories. But until this sequel is done it would feel like stepping out on my relationship with the series. But then again maybe I need a little something something to spice things up again and blow away my writer's block!

Sam Hunter: Father, husband, author. Always in that order. Writing books you can't put down. All my books are on Amazon Kindle and Google Play Books. You can find me on Twitter or email me

ReplyQuote
KF Johnson Author
Active Member Member
20/11/2017 10:55 pm  

I just hate disappointing readers who are looking forward to the sequels. As an avid reader also, I understand the frustration with waiting and maybe forgetting what even happened in the first book. I figure if I can't "do better" as far as birthing sequels, I'll just stick to stand alones. LOL. I WILL get this most recent one out hopefully for release on Jan 1st though. That is my goal

ReplyQuote
Sam Hunter
Estimable Member Admin
20/11/2017 11:23 pm  

What I have definitely learned is that if you are going to write a series, you write the whole series before publishing. Readers are then more likely to go on to the next book because it is available, not only is that more sales for us but it will help boost the overall visability of the titles of that series. See, the ability to binge watch no Netflix has taught me something 😉

Edited: 3 days  ago

ReplyQuote
KF Johnson Author
Active Member Member
20/11/2017 11:34 pm  
Posted by: Sam Hunter

What I have definitely learned is that if you are going to write a series, you write the whole series before publishing. Readers are then more likely to go on to the next book because it is available, not only is that more sales for us but it will help boost the overall visability of the titles of that series. See, the ability to binge watch no Netflix has taught me something 😉

I could not agree with you more. Lesson learned

Edited: 3 days  ago

Sam Hunter liked
ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register